Wednesday, January 14, 2015

EASE 0.1.0 - the very first release

I am proud to announce the very first release of the Eclipse Advanced Scripting Environment (EASE).

In case you have no idea what this is about, check out the project page. Afterwards you definitely need to install it right away in your IDE and start scripting.

Some facts: 
  • executes script code in your IDE, providing access to the running JRE and thus to the whole Eclipse API
  • supports JavaScript, Jython, Groovy and JRuby (see details)
  • allows to dynamically integrate scripts into toolbars and menus
  • extensible via script libraries (write your own)

This project started as an in house company solution some years ago. When I released it as open source back in 2013 I was quite astonished about the interest from the community. Soon this project moved into the e4 incubator which gave us a great chance to evolve and build up an infrastructure.
Last summer EASE was accepted as an Eclipse incubation project. With our first release we feel to be part of the eclipse community.

Let me take this opportunity to thank all the people who helped to make this happen. When I started out almost 2 years ago I did not expect to meet such an open minded community. So if you think of starting your own project I can just encourage you to take the first step. There are helping hands everywhere, trying to push you forward. Did I already say that I love this community?

No comments:

Post a Comment